[img: a black and white photo of the front cover of hoax zine #9.]
HOAX #9 - FEMINISMS & VULNERABILITIES IS NOW FINISHED, AND IS TAKING PRE-ORDERS!
- How vulnerability can combat misogyny within trans communities
- Vulnerabilities and doors as a queer mixed woman
- Asking for help as a necessary self-publishing task
- Nuances of high school experiences
- Letting go of hurtful narratives while embracing heartache and the process of “breaking down”
- Views on queer identity interrogation, performance, and transparency as a punk zinester
- Vulnerabilities of mental health perspectives and lack of intersectionality
- Witnessing misguided white manarchist resistance to police and reflections on vulnerability of communities of color
- Multi-generational healing work and vulnerabilities as a male-socialized survivor
- Questioning the responsibility of self-agency after “checking out” during sex
- Coping with internalized misogyny, consciously staying away from men, and familial dynamics
- Trans women and solitary confinement
- Experiences of racism and sexism in a hospital setting and the legitimacy of describing one’s pain
- Boundary setting in the contexts of capitalism, physical and mental illness, and life crises
- Inpatient hospital stays and changes in labels of one’s mental illness(es)
- Loss of memory and personal history, critiquing queer/trans* growth narratives, and creating (non-)advice for non-normative teens and young adults
- Vulnerability of discussing physical illness
- Navigating queer attraction and desire with a history of violence
- A feminist coming out monologue
- Dealing with kink, trauma, and complexities of BDSM involvement
- Interview Excerpt with Daniela Capistrano, Founder of the POC Zine Project
- Examining the necessity of assertiveness for disabled women and asking for accommodations
This issue also includes poems, feminists we love, current feminist heroes, and vegan recipes! ½ size, black & white, 80 pages, and very text heavy.
Note about Triggering Content: We are circulating the above descriptive list in an effort to reveal the content and chronological order of this issue, thus creating the opportunity for readers to judge on an individual basis as to which essays could be potentially triggering or uncomfortable to them. We have chosen not to place trigger warnings on specific pieces in Hoax because we recognize that triggers are unique and highly personal. We believe that it is impossible to discern what content has the potential to be triggering to every one of our readers, and we do not want to inadvertently create a hierarchy of what material is “intense” or “real” enough to warrant a warning. Please contact us if you have suggestions as to how to better incorporate trigger warnings into future issues of Hoax.
Note about the Cost: At the beginning of the summer, the two of us learned that we would no longer be able to print Hoax at the location where we had been printing for over four years. We have spent the past several months extensively investigating alternative printing sources, and unfortunately every other printing source has a significantly higher overhead cost. Because of this, we have literally gone broke to make long-term printing arrangements for Hoax #9, as well to ensure that past and future Hoax issues will be able to be (re)printed. To show our continued dedication to creating a quality zine and putting it in the hands of those with limited funds, we have made Hoax #9 the largest issue yet (80 full pages featuring nearly 3 dozen contributors!) — while keeping the price of this issue at $3US (+ shipping) just like all previous issues. Accessibility (both in content and pricing) is one of our primary concerns with this gigantic zine, and we as individuals have had to put up our own money in order to continue this project, as Hoax is 100% non-profit and neither of us make a cent off of it. If you are in a position to do so, we highly encourage you to donate money to overall Hoax operations via PayPal (hoaxzine at gmail dot com), pay a higher fee for this particular issue, and/or purchase other available zines so that we can continue to work towards making Hoax readily available to those who cannot afford to pay higher than $3US for a singular zine.
We are offering #9 for immediate sale because we have depleted our funds simply making printing arrangements as well as need an accurate estimation of how many copies to acquire. You can PRE-ORDER #9 through our Etsy shop (for paypal payments, where you can also find back issues on community, communication, change, and mythologies as well as some brand new hoax pins and many of our personal zines) or, if you prefer (well hidden) US cash via snail mail, you can e-mail us at hoaxzine (at) gmail (dot) com to find out where to mail your money. You can also learn more about Hoax at our FAQ posting and get info on submitting to Hoax #10: feminisms and embodiments at this link.
We will be mailing out issues on a first come first serve basis as soon as possible - optimally by mid-October, but our ability to purchase necessary mailing supplies and therefore send copies out depends on when we will sell enough zines to afford to get everything in the mail. As always, feel free to shoot us an email if you have any questions about the status of your order.
Please re-blog to spread the word!
Happy reading, y’all!
Rachel & sari
re-blogging for folks who might not have seen this last night.
we are asking people to pre-order because we have literally depleted our funds to secure printing and need money to send mail!
even if you cannot purchase a zine, we ask you to support us by re-blogging / tweeting / sharing